Here are some of the best modern children’s books about autism:
- “We’re Amazing, 1, 2, 3!” by Leslie Kimmelman
- “My Friend with Autism” by Ellie Jackson
- “Different, Not Less” by Temple Grandin
- “The Girl Who Thought in Pictures: The Story of Dr. Temple Grandin” by Julia Finley Mosca
- “Not So Different: What You Really Want to Know About Having a Disability” by Shane Burcaw
- “Too Sticky!: Sensory Issues with Autism” by D.L. Lang
- “The Autism Acceptance Book: Being a Friend to Someone with Autism” by Ellen Sabin
- “The Reason I Jump: One Boy’s Voice from the Silence of Autism” by Naoki Higashida
- “All My Stripes: A Story for Children with Autism” by Shaina Rudolph
- “Max & the Tag-Along Moon: A Story About Bedtime and Autism” by Floyd Cooper.
These books are great resources for children and families to understand and appreciate autism, and to see it as a unique aspect of individual identity, rather than a limitation or a problem to be fixed.